Saturday, August 10, 2013

Things fall apart

Wednesday, I think it was, was a very hard day.

Got an email from my mom that my dad might be sick with a scary disease. More testing needed. Ok. I don't know if I even prayed about it.

We went about our morning. Took the kids to the park really early because it's been a triple digit week. Coming home, I was relaxing into the feeling that we were on course for my shoulder surgery next Thursday. I had had a lot of anxiety about whether my family would be ok without me and I was easing into the notion that Jesus was going to take care of us. I was ticking off a list of a few things I needed to arrange before my father-in-law arrived to help us with childcare immediately after the surgery. But I was really looking forward to his coming.

My kids and I did fun stuff together, and I fed us an early lunch.

At a few minutes past noon, my father-in-law called which was surprising in and of itself. But more surprising was that HE needed surgery and wouldn't be able to come next week. WHOA, WHOA, WHAT??!!

In a semi-panic, I starting thinking about who could come instead, what we could do instead. In the course of that thought I'd ask a couple of my aunts who are "retired" whether they could come. The first aunt I called is on my dad's side, so I mentioned he might be sick, but what I really wanted was for her to come help me out. She's a doc and whatever I said to her about what might be happening with my dad didn't make sense. So I just forwarded the email I got about it.

She called back. I hadn't understood the email. The more testing wasn't about whether my dad was sick with a scary disease, it was to pinpoint the extent of the disease. WHOA, WHOA, WHAT??!!

The rest of the day was a mess. A giant pile of stinking mess.

No comments: