Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lifting weights

So sometime in December, I was trying to get my daughter in and out of shopping carts and realized I was having a rough time. And then I realized she was only 30 lbs -- maybe 32 lbs. And I thought to myself When did I become such a weakling?

Then my mother noted that I had not been exercising and sent us some money for Christmas to rectify that problem.

I've been lifting weights for 2 weeks now. I saw a couple recommendations for Starting Strength and decided to try that program.

To sum up the program, all I do is lift weights. Squats, presses, and deadlifts. Here are things I'm enjoying in no particular order.

  • It's very simple
  • No cardio
  • I'm focused on moving weights and not how terrible I feel
  • Currently, I can finish everything up in 30-40 minutes, and I'm sweating hard within 10 min
  • It kicks in enough endorphins to help with the depression
  • There's daycare for my kids
  • Since I'm shooting for strength (low reps) vs endurance (high reps) there's not a lot of lactic acid and I'm not cripplingly sore
  • In 2 weeks, my posture is already better
  • Since I keep a log, improvement is easy to see (I deadlifted 118 today!)
  • I have been going at a time where there's no competition for the equipment and no traffic on the way
  • In the 5 minutes I spend warming up on the elliptical, I've been reviewing a memory verse, currently I Thess 5:23-24

No comments: