Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Random thoughts post surgery

It is hard to wash one hand; easy to rinse, hard to lather.

One armed ponytails, hard; headbands-type things, easy.

Bras can be optional, but I feel more me wearing them.

It may feel awkward to be assertive with medical people, but worth it.

There are people who actually have only one arm who live full, independent lives. This inspires me to be creative. Like using scissors to "chop" food.

Know when to hold them and when to fold them. Sometimes it's good to stop the creativity and ask for help. Hanging creased trousers is tricky one armed and not blazingly urgent.

How other people solve their problems might not be anything like how you solve yours. I read recommendations to get a bath poof on a stick. I find my trusty bar of soap works just fine. The only thing I can't soap is my good arm itself and that's true w or w/o the poof on a stick.

Grace makes all the difference. Knowing Jesus delights in me whether I am in a good mood or foul, whether I am productive or not allows me to be kind to myself and to receive the kindness of others.

Asking for help is an important skill, and it can be hard. Receiving help well can be lifegiving for both sides of the "transaction".

No comments: