Sunday, April 6, 2014

Boring can be better

So we've settled into a breakfast routine. My husband has been eating the same breakfast all the years I've known him. But getting myself and the kids on a routine has taken a bit longer.

The kids have baked oatmeal with a bit of milk poured over it and microwaved. Sometimes one asks for an egg.

I'm settled into 1/2 cup of oatmeal (pour 1 c. boiled water over it, stick a plate over it and let it sit for 5 min) + 1 scoop protein powder. Then 2 fried eggs.

Eating the same thing every morning makes mornings a bit easier. When I run out of baked oatmeal, I'm always at a bit of a loss for what to do. Sometimes we have dry cereal on hand. But that never fills them up the way the oatmeal does. This may be boring, and the alternative is more interesting, but at this point way to much work to be worth it. No one is complaining about the same ole everyday, so we're just going to roll with it for now.

The baked oatmeal I'm making these days looks like:

6 c. old fashioned oats
pinch salt
1/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c. raisins

3 eggs
1/4 oil
3 c. milk

preheat oven to 300 F
beat eggs, mix wet ingredients
line 9 x 13 pan with foil
mix dry ingredients in the pan
pour over wet ingredeints
mix together
bake for 35 min
when cool cut into 1/16ths
store in fridge for up to a week or freeze


No comments: