Saturday, June 21, 2014

Summer oatmeal

We eat a lot of oatmeal here. We buy 10lbs at a time.

Anyways, I've been just pouring boiled water over my old fashioned oats and leaving it alone while tending to the kids. By the time, I've got them going, my oats are ready. I've now done 1 cup of boiling water over 1/2 cup of oats enough times that I can eyeball the amount.

For the kids, I've been doing baked oatmeal because I could dump in eggs, oil, and milk which bumps up the fat and protein in their breakfast which I like. But now it's summer and I don't feel like turning on the oven, plus our oven has gone wonky.

So today I tried this:

6 cups of oats
3/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
cinnamon

And then I poured over boiling water to the level that I usually see when I make my own oatmeal. I would guess that I was in the neighborhood of 8-10 cups of water. I think the box would call for 12 cups of water.

Anyways, I put a lid on the pot and walked away for 15 min while changing the kids and getting the breakfast table set up.

Turned out pretty good. I poured some milk over their portions to cool it off. I later added a big scoop of protein powder since I didn't add eggs.

As a no bake alternative, I liked this. We'll see if the kids take to it.

No comments: