Monday, March 9, 2009

Note to self

Lenten musing 5

From this morning's lectionary reading
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
till the storms of destruction pass by.
I cry out to God Most High,
to God who fulfills his purpose for me.
~A Miktam of King David, Psalm 57

A quote I've been carrying in my Bible since I finished college
It is necessary for the Spirit of God to burn into our hearts this mystery, that the most important work we have to do is that which must be done on our knees, alone with God, away from the bustle of the world and the plaudits of men
~O. Hallesby, Prayer

From the book I'm currently browsing through
Prayer frees us to be controlled by God. To pray is to change. There is no greater liberating force in the Christian life than prayer. To enter the gaze of the Holy is never to be the same.
~Foster, Freedom of Simplicity

No comments: