Monday, September 12, 2011

Role Models

Avie Carlisle, Cindy Megginson, Lillian Froude, Grace Mutzabaugh.

I had the deep privilege of growing up with these women at a formative time in my life. They have this in common: loving Jesus, being single, doing adventurous kingdom work. And by adventurous, I mean foreign countries, dangerous diseases, lengthy travel, oppressive governments, ground breaking, Bible smuggling, church planting.

As a young teenager, I was very unsure what it meant to be a woman, but these women gave me hope that whatever it meant it could be cool. It could be cool and it wasn't dependent on being married. And it could be cool even though or because it was Jesus centered.

Two of these saints have passed away; the other two forge on. God bless them all.

No comments: