Friday, October 28, 2011

Too tired to (not) connect

It's been a rough six weeks. We are really tired, we've been really tired. It's Friday and like most Friday's recently we've just barely made it.

And most days around 7:30, 8 o'clock, the kids are in their beds and my husband and I look at each other, and we are totally beat. And a couple nights a week, we'll put in a DVD, snuggle up on the couch, and watch something fun. Yes, we're not eyeball to eyeball talking about deep issues, and yes, we're not even being silly and goofing off over a video game, and yes, it's not a dress up date, but that is us, a few quiet moments, resting together, and that's it. Apart from the general figuring out of how to keep our four lives going, this is how we're connecting.

Spiritually, my first thought is that I am way too tired to connect with Jesus. Not only do I have little time to myself, when I do have physical space, I have very little mental space. What I need is a couch and DVDs with Jesus. A little place to be safely exhausted yet with.

And as I ponder this, I realize that I'm way too tired to not connect with Jesus.

I don't have the how's figured out, but the following words of Jesus have come to mind.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
~The good news according to Matthew, chpt 11

1 comment:

EC said...

Read this today and it really resonated with me..