Wednesday, March 12, 2014

"I'll sleep when I'm dead"

Mountain and Water by
Chen Chun Zhong

My freshman year, I was part of a program that made a t-shirt saying, "We didn't want to sleep anyways." So I was raised in a culture that valorized anything that produces exhaustion--work or play.

It's fitting then, this spring break to think about rest because Jesus offers something very different from our apprehensions about not working and missing out and not having enough.

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” ~Matthew 11:28-30

"Work hard, play hard(er)"

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience." ~Heb 4:9-11

"YOLO" (You only live once)

"Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
    when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
    do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For those who are evil will be destroyed,
    but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land."
 ~Psalm 37: 7-9

No comments: