Saturday, March 1, 2014

Lent for Protestant Kids

It was surprisingly difficult to find stuff for Lent for protestant kids. I didn't grow up with Lent, but it's become more popular in evangelical, protestant circles. I'd like to think this is partly because people are moving deeper into a life-long apprenticeship with Jesus as Dallas Willard calls it. Anyways, I won't go speculating.

I did pick up a Catholic book several years ago, but as I was looking over it this year in preparation for Lent (which starts March 5th this year), there are too many thing I'd need to explain as "this is a Catholic thing and not something we hold dear to". For example, I think in the Ash Wednesday reading there's a bit about thanking Jesus we've been baptized into the kingdom. Except that we didn't have our children baptized as infants (I'm less and less opposed to this, but we just didn't).

While I'm doing this, let me just say that "liturgy" and "tradition" has generally gone over like gangbusters with our kids. We have morning and evening prayers. Yes, we do the same prayers/songs everyday, but the kids know the prayers and it's part of the rhythm of our day. The Lord's Prayer in 2 year old garble is adorable.

For Advent we starting putting up a Jesse Tree 3 years ago, and the kids have enjoyed listening to stories and putting ornaments up on a little Christmas tree we kept from our apartment years. This past Christmas we added something my in-laws dropped off which is a clothesline that we clip a new name of Jesus to each day. Kids loved it.

But back to Lent!

Here's what I've found so far:

Family Devotions for Lent
Best for age 4+
My favorite in terms of simplicity. Each day has a scripture, a prayer and a question

Lent Activities for the Family
Best for age 3+
Fun activities and reflections through Lent

Lenten Devotions
Best for age 3+
Works like a Jesse Tree; has a printable ornament and matching scripture. You can easily print out, color, and hang one each day. About half way between the first two in complexity.

Trail to the Tree
Best for age 5+
Laid back (only 17 days) and artsy, this one is from Ann Voskamp of One Thousand Gifts fame

Once we figure out Lent, I'm thinking about how to incorporate a Catechism into their spiritual education.

1 comment:

EC said...

FYI there's this catechism out there called "new city catechism," an app developed by Redeemer church, but I like it because it has a kid version and an adult version so you can learn it together..